What you should know about Oxycontin medicine?
Oxycontin 80mg is used to help relieve severe ongoing pain (such as due to cancer). Oxycodone belongs to a class of drugs known as opioid analgesics. It works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain.
The higher strengths of this drug (more than 40 milligrams per tablet) should be used only if you have been regularly taking moderate to large amounts of opioid pain medication. These strengths may cause overdose (even death) if taken by a person who has not been regularly taking opioids.
Do not use the extended-release form of oxycodone to relieve pain that is mild or that will go away in a few days. This medication is not for occasional ("as needed") use.
What is the side effect of Oxycontin medicine?
Nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, weakness, sweating, lightheadedness, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur. Some of these side effects may decrease after you have been using this medication for a while.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly if any of these effects persist or worsen.
- To prevent constipation, eat dietary fiber, drink enough water, and exercise. You may also need to take a laxative.
- To reduce the risk of dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or lying position.
You may notice an empty tablet shell on your stool. This is harmless because your body has already absorbed the medicine. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
- interrupted breathing during sleep (sleep apnea)
- mental/mood changes (such as agitation, confusion, hallucinations)
- severe stomach/abdominal pain
- difficulty urinating
- signs of your adrenal glands not working well (such as loss of appetite,
- unusual tiredness, weight loss)
What happens when someone overdoses on oxycontin medicine?
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, give them naloxone. If the person is awake and has no symptoms, call a poison control center right away. Symptoms of overdose may include slow/shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, and coma.