What exactly is Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Rhinoplasty surgery is a form of plastic or cosmetic surgery done on the nose to change its shape and enhance its function in case of an injury. It is done for medical or aesthetic reasons. A few medical reasons are- to correct breathing problems caused due to a nasal hump, deviated septum, or other nose disfigurement resulting from congenital disabilities, trauma, or injury.
What are the types of Rhinoplasty?
Types of Rhinoplasties in India include:
- Widening the breathing passages
- Changing the nose's appearance and shape (cosmetic surgery)
- Acclimating the nasal bridge
- Resizing the nostrils
- Reforming the shape of the nose after an injury or trauma
- Removing the nasal hump
What is the procedure of rhinoplasty surgery in India?
Rhinoplasty surgery in India is performed on an outpatient basis. It starts with the surgeon examining your overall health and discussing the recovery time, costs involved, and risks associated with the surgery. Once this is agreed on, you and the cosmetic surgeon will have to sit together and decide the technique for reshaping the nose. After this, the date, time, and venue are settled. On the day of the surgery, you will be given local or general anesthesia so that you don't feel the pain during the surgery since it will numb and sedate your nose. Then the surgeon cuts within the nostrils or across the base of the nose and reshape the cartilage or inner bone according to your needs.
What are the potential risks involved in rhinoplasty surgery in India?
Just like any other surgery, rhinoplasty surgery to has certain risks. These risks include the following:
- Bursting of any of the minute blood vessels on the skin surface
- Nasal bleeding
- Permanent nerve impairment
- Scarring at the bottom of the nose
- Infection, if not taken care of post-surgery
- An allergic reaction to the anesthesia
What to anticipate and do after the surgery?
Recovery is an essential part of rhinoplasty surgery. The patient is generally given a nasal splint to wear for the first-week post-surgery. Do not panic about the bruising and swelling around the nose and eyes since it will take about two weeks to recover and improve; some even take about six months. You can only see the result after it has completely healed.
When healing from rhinoplasty surgery, you must avoid any strenuous activity for three to six weeks post-surgery. If you encounter any discomfort even after six months of the surgery, it's recommended to consult with a healthcare specialist at the earliest.
Four Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips:
Many patients who decide to get rhinoplasty surgery lead busy lives and are often eager to learn if there's anything they can do to expedite their rhinoplasty surgery recuperation. While your nose will ultimately heal at its gait, you can take steps to assure your recovery is as relaxed and speedy as possible.
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet: Fuel your body for post-surgery recovery by consuming plenty of vital nutrients that strengthen your immune system and promote healing. You'll also want to ensure you keep yourself well-hydrated every day.
- Avoid smoking: Patients of Rhinoplasty who smoke have a deliberately slow healing time. Consumption of tobacco increases the risk of infection and scarring.
- Stay away from the sun: Avoid direct sun exposure whenever possible. If spending time outdoors is inevitable, you must always wear sunscreen. Your nasal skin will be extra sensitive and prone to sunburn as it heals. Too much exposure to the sun can result in more conspicuous scarring.
- Don't hesitate to contact your surgeon: Your surgeon will make sure you are thoroughly informed of all potential complications and rhinoplasty risks before your surgical procedure. You are encouraged to contact them anytime if you have questions or concerns during your recovery.
Typically, rhinoplasty surgery is a straightforward procedure with no significant risks. If rhinoplasty surgery is in your mind, you should start by looking for a satisfactory, experienced, and professional surgeon who can walk you through the whole procedure from beginning to end and help you comprehend the risks and how to recover after the surgery. One such leading cosmetic surgeon in India is Dr. Mohan Thomas. At Dr. Mohan Thomas, they plan the surgery and discuss the rhinoplasty cost in Mumbai based on your requirements, aesthetic relations between nose and face, and the present shape of your nose. We maintain ethnic congruency so that the nose does not look abnormal on your face.