To attain a positive NER assessment, you must be aware of the requirements you need to fulfill.
Therefore, you should read this blog, as it will familiarize you with the requirements you need to fulfill. However, before you know the requirements for the NER assessment, you should first know what it is.
Introduction to NER:
Engineers Australia (EA) introduced NER, the National Engineering Register in 2015. It is a comprehensive directory and a way to recognize engineers who are in harmony with the high standards of skill, qualification and professionalism that are expected in the industry.
The NER offers a national framework of registration for a professional engineer, engineering technologist and engineering associate across the private and public sectors.
It is a database easily searchable for the public. It provides businesses and individuals with access to a qualified pool of engineers who are endorsed by the country’s engineering peak body.
As an engineering professional, attaining and displaying the NER status is a way to showcase your talent, skill and experience to prospective clients and employers.
It’s not mandatory for you to be a member of Engineers Australia if you want to apply for this credential.
How to apply:
The following are the five steps you need to go through for a NER assessment:
- Make an account in the Engineers Australia portal.
- Login and complete the online self-assessment form to rate yourself in harmony with the NER competencies and apply for this credential.
- You are required to have two relevant referees capable of verifying your latest work experience.
- Undergo a NER interview with an eligible Engineers Australia assessor.
- Get your outcome notification. If it is positive, you will automatically be placed in the NER.
If you are an EA member, you can also join the NER when applying for a Chartered credential.
NER Direct competencies:
The following are the five competencies you need to show for a positive NER Direct assessment:
- Cope with ethical issues
- Develop safe and sustainable solutions
- Utilize local engineering knowledge
- Practise competently
Identify, evaluate and manage risk